عنوان مقاله [English]
The aim of this study was to explore the relationship between personality dimensions and job burnout among physical education teachers in Sanandaj city. The statistical population included 180 male and female physical education teachers in Sanandaj city and all of them were selected as the sample. The study was of correlation type conducted as a field. To collect the data, 2 valid and reliable questionnaires (Maslach’s Burnout Questionnaires (α=0.81) and Goldberg’s Personality Dimension Questionnaires (α=0.85) together with a personality trait questionnaire. For data analysis, descriptive statistics (mean, standard deviation, frequency, and tables) and inferential statistics (Pearson correlation coefficient, independent samples t test and regression analysis) were used. The findings showed a significant negative relationship between extraversion, openness to experience, consciousness and agreeableness and job burnout factors (emotional exhaustion, depersonalization and lack of personal accomplishment). There was a significant positive relationship between neuroticism and job burnout factors (emotional exhaustion, depersonalization and lack of personal success). There was no significant difference between male and female teachers in terms of the variables of this study. Among the five dimensions of personality, agreeableness and extraversion were able to predict job burnout. Overall, it was observed that different personality dimensions affected job burnout of teachers. Thus, personality traits of teachers can be assessed prior to their employment to predict their future job burnout. It is thus suggested that officials and managers should pay special attention to the effective factors such as personality to achieve more efficiency in Education Organization. Education and training should be elevated to enhance these effective factors and to reduce the problem of job burnout.
1.Abdolhamidi. N, (2007), The relationship between personality and job satisfaction according to job specifications, Master's thesis, , Tehran Tarbiyat moalem university [Persian]PP: 183-198.
2. Akbari, M & Aghayousefi, A.R. (2010) , Correlation between fluid intelligence, dimensions of personality, (extroversion, neurosis and psychosis) and emotional intelligence with academic, success in high school students, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 4, No. 2(14), Summer 2010, 44-50[Persian]
3.Al-Mohannadi, A, Capel. S, (2012). “Stress in physical education teachers in Qatar”, Social Psychology of Education, 10(1) : PP:55-75.
4.Azeem SM (2012), Personality hardiness job involvement and job burnout among teachers, International Journal of Vocational and Technical Education. 2010; 2 (3): 36-40.
5. Colangelo, T.M, (2004).Teacher stress and burnout and the role of physical activity and parent involvement”, A thesis of master of art in psychology department of psychology, N (2), PP:240-280.
6. Farahani, M& Sajadi, N & Qhahfakhi, A& Eslami, Y (2010), relationship between personality dimension and job dislocation analysis of physical education men teachers of Zanjan city, Movement Science and Sport Management Research, NOV 1, summer 2010, [Persian], 37-48.
7. Garcia, F. J., Munoz, E. M., Pandoritz, M.A. (2005), personality and contextual variables in teacher burnout, personality and individual differences. 38:929-940.
8. Ghorpade J, Lackritz J, Singh G(2007), Burnout and personality: evidence from academia. Journal of Career Assessment, 2007; 15 (2): 240-560.
9. Goudarzi M, Keshtidar M (2002), The correlation between personal characteristics and burn-out among managers in faculties of physical education universities, Harakat, 2002; 13: 45-53 [Persian].
10. Heaven, P.C. L, Mak, A., Barry, J, & Ciarrochi, J, (2002). Personality and family influences on adolescent attitudes to school and self-rated academic performance, Personality and Individual Differences, 32: 453–462
11. Koçani H, Arslan S, Topaloglu I, (2009), Differentiation of Burnout Syndrome by Profession and Job: Burnout Inventory. Review of Economic and Business Studies (REBS), 2009; (4): 149-62.
12. Nasseh, M. & J. Jalilvand, M. Vahdani (2012), Relationship between personality dimensions and job burnout of Nurses, Original Article, Modern Care, Scientific Quarterly of Birjand Nursing and Midwifery Faculty. 2012; 9 (2): 87-94[Persian]
13. Macare, R (2000), Validation on the five factor model of personality across instruments and observers, Journal of personality and social psychology 52, 81-90
14. Maslach, C., Jackson, S. E. (1986), The Burnout Inventory. Palo Alto: Manual Consulting Psychologists Press, PP: 322-350.
15.Rahim, B.G, (2000), Teacher burnout syndrome and psychological coping mechanisms, Master's thesis, Tehran Tarbiyat moalem university [Persian], PP: 130-140.
16. Rammstedt B, John OP (2005), Measuring personality in one minute or less: a 10-item short version of the big five inventory in English and German. J Res. 2007; 41(1): 203-12.
17.Saatchi, M (2003), Work Psychology: Applying Psychology in Organization and management; 2003 [Persian], PP:37-46 .
18. Shimizutani M, Odagiri Y, Ohya Y, Shimomitsu T, Kristensen TS, Maruta T, et al(2008), Relationship of nurse burnout with personality characteristics and coping behaviors. In health. 2008; 46 (4): 326-350.
19. Swider BW, Zimmerman RD (2012), Born to burnout: a meta-analytic path model of personality, job burnout, and work outcomes. Journal of Vocational Behavior.2012;76 (3): 487-506.
20. Verdinejad F, Hasanzadeh R (2005), Survey relationship between organizational factors and job burnout in employees. J Human and Social Science, 2005; 23: 129-50,[Persian].
21. Watson. D, Clarc. L & Carey. G (1998), positive and negative affectivity and their relation to anxiety and depressive disorders, Journal of abnormal psychology, 97, 346-353.